One of Ultimaker’s founders, Erik de Bruijn, talks at the launch of the Ultimaker 2.
Archive for month: December, 2013
Why not personalise your Ultimaker Original by painting it?
The Ultimaker Original is made out of wood and takes perfectly to being painted. Very little paint is required, its a good idea to dilute the paint to prevent it from being too thick and covering up the laser marking, which is extremely important for assembly. Additionally, we don’t want the paint to be so thick that it prevents the parts from fitting together properly. A bright colour will help ensure the laser markings show through too. Black is probably a terrible idea unless you’ve assembled a kit before and know what you are doing. Pick an interior latex water-based paint (other types may be fine too but this works). You’ll only need about 1/3 of a cup or about 8ml, so buy a small amount if you don’t want extra paint.
In a mixing bowl, mis 1/3 cup (80ml) of paint with 2/3 cup (160ml) of water. That should be all the paint you need for the entire kit if you don’t go crazy with it. Start pulling pieces out of the kit and painting them. Go slow and be methodical. Make sure you don’t get any big drips and try not to paint over the laser markings too much. Use the extra bit of wood from the kit to keep parts elevated when drying. This will prevent blobs from forming on the underside. You’ll get the hang of it.
Painting at a casual pace will take several hours so make sure you have enough time and don’t have to rush.
It doesn’t seem to cause any problem if the hot end is painted, so just paint all the wood pieces!
Original article can be found here.
- it's a very nice piece, i didn't know that a printer could...July 6, 2018 - 4:39 am by Nataly Cuellar
- If your were asked to pick between the Ultimaker 2 or the...November 12, 2015 - 3:28 pm by Scott Charlson
- Replacement perforated plate being sent direct from Zortrax,...July 8, 2015 - 2:21 pm by James
- Layers slipping - was advised to check grub screwsJuly 8, 2015 - 2:20 pm by James
News & Blog
- ColorFabb PETG and PLA Economy FilamentJune 9, 2020 - 9:51 am
- Photocentric Magna – 46 Dental Models in 1 hour 24 minutesMarch 3, 2020 - 5:19 pm
- Zortrax Dual – Ready to Work in 8 Minutes?February 13, 2020 - 11:43 am
- METHOD Pro Series | Robots – All Axis Robotics Case StudyNovember 25, 2019 - 7:29 pm
- Ultimaker’s complete solution: 3D printing with high-performance plastics and compositesNovember 7, 2019 - 6:49 pm